One of the most surprising facts about skulls is its enormous resistance. Did you know that more than 785 pounds of weight are needed on average to crush a human skull?
The skull is without a doubt and from the point of view of anatomy an impressive work of evolution. All vertebrate beings have a skull with very similar functions.
Do you want to know more curious things about skulls? Keep reading and you will be amazed
Table of Contents
Facts about the human skull anatomy
Many facts about the skulls are closely related to its impressive anatomy. Let’s see some of them.
Fact about skull # 1 : How many bones in the head?
There are 22 bones in the human skull, not including teeth that are not considered bones. Let’s describe them:
Bones in the cranium (8)
The set formed by the facial bones and the bones of the skull constitutes that awesome work of art of evolution that is the human skull, one of whose most important functions is to protect our brain.
- Parietal (2 on each side of the head)
- Temporal ( 2 on each side of the head)
Facial Bones (14)
- Maxillae (2)
- Palatine (2)
- Nasal (2)
- Nasal conchae(2)
Skull Fact # 2 :It is possible to know the gender of a person by analyzing their skull
The skull is also a bone and like all bones can tell many stories about people. A medical examiner is capable of extracting an incredible amount of information from the bones, among other things, knowing how a person died.
Through the shape of the human skull, it is possible to determine the gender of a person. The male skull bone will be heavier, larger, and thicker than the female skull.
Skull Fact # 3: Cranial Foramina, the skulls also contains small holes
The human skull has small holes that allow blood vessels and nerves to pass through it and allow them to enter and exit the cranial cavity. These tiny holes are called Foramina and are not noticeable to the touch.
Foramen Magnum is the largest hole in the skull. Its function is to allow the union between the vertebral column and the skull
Skull Fact # 4 : The Jawbone or Mandible is awesome.
The mandible is the largest and strongest bone in the human cranium and holds teeth in place and is the only bone in the skull that moves.
Thanks to the jawbone and its mobility we are able to do something fundamental in our lives.
Skull Fact # 5 : The Skull Sutures
The bones of the skull are linked together in a set of lines called sutures.
One of the facts about the skulls that most surprise us is the fact that in babies, the sutures are soft and this fact gives babies skulls some flexibility during delivery. This is possible because, at the top of a baby’s skull, there is a large suture that is known as fontanelle but it closes up at the age of 2 years. The sutures close and solidify during childhood.
Facts about Skulls # 6: Functions of the skull.
Previously we mentioned that fortunately the skull allows us to carry out a series of activities fundamental to our daily life, without which we simply would not be able to live.
What does the skull and what protects ?
- The skull protects the brain.
- The skull provides support to the face.
- Allows us to see because it houses our eyes.
- Allows us to eat and drink.
- Allows us to hear because it keeps all our hearing functions safe.
Don’t you think that our brain deserves a tribute from us? We should wear skull images on all our clothes, and put skull sculptures and paintings all over the house!
Bestselling Skull Models For Students, teaching or Decoration
- ☑『SPECIFIC』- The resin mold male replica separates into 3 pieces. The calvaria, base of skull, and mandible separate making studying and labeling a breeze.
- ☑『PERFECT FOR TEACHING & EDUCATION』- Being a miniature model, it is a great tool for classroom and office handling.
- ☑『HIGH QUALITY』- The mold is made out of a high quality PVC to best resemble human bone. The material will last for years.
- ☑『DETAILED』- The foramen and fossa are present as well.
- ☑『MULTIPURPOSE』- This piece is just what you were looking for to fill up that bookshelf. This anatomical replica is perfect for anyone in education or medical field.
- Life sized, 3 Parts (Calvaria, Base of Skull, and Mandible)
- Identifies fissures, parietal, processus, seams, and more
- Mandible is articulated
- Cast from a real human skull including details such as separated teeth
- The upgrade numbered anatomical skull model is improved by a new laser-Etched technology to make the fonts & number engraved into the skull model permanently.
- The laser-Etched fonts & number will NEVER be smudged while our skin touch the number & fonts. The skull model are able to be clean and the number & font will Never be wiped off.
- Old version Skull with irregular fonts, font faded easily and font errors, number missing caused by hand writing. New version skull with uniform, regular font, not faded.
- Upgraded Human anatomical skull model maintain the important function for the medical human skull structure learner. It can be disassembled into 3-part: Calvaria, Base of Skull, and Mandible.
- The skull model made in non-toxic PVC material, tasteless, environmentally friendly. Also attached with a instruction sheet for user.
- 3-part, numbered, life size
- Numbered key is included
- Very good tool for teaching/studying human anatomy
- 👫【Human Skull Model Including 15 Parts 】: Designed in 22 parts and 9 colors,Include the holes, sockets, canals, and a complete set of human teeth. And better shows the bones structure, texture, articulating mandible, eye sockets, sutures, internal nasal cavity, and the endocranium cavity. Cast from the real specimen, this 22 parts disarticulated skull model visually shows every detail of the human adult skull. Comes with detailed instructions.
- 👫【Easy To Reassemble】:This didactic version Beauchene model colored all bones (bone pairs) for easy identification and use. This model gives a fully removable mandible jaw and skull cap offer a deeper look into the skull bone model to review the endocranium cavity and sinus cavities.Individual bones can be reassembled by the inconspicuous, stable connectors mounted at the simplified suture of the skull.
- 👫【Healty Material Quality】: The Skull Models made in non-toxic durable PVC , Easy to clean.Due to closed space shippment, there may be some smell, but smell will fade away after putting in open air.
- 👫【Multi-Scenario Application】: School teaching, learning, researching display tool and lab ornament supplies. Great for Schools, hospitals, visual aids in physical health teaching. Really a great teaching aid for anatomy and physiology courses; and also a great human skull model for kids learning.
Fun Facts about Skulls
Here are some fun facts about skulls
- A skull with a pair of crossbones is used as a symbol of poison or death.
- The skull is also made of cartilages and ligaments and not only of bones
- The size and shape of skulls must be different for each gender and even racial heritage, for instance depending on what part of the world they come from.
- When you open and close your mouth you are using your temporomandibular joint.
Thank you very much for reading, if you liked it, share it on your social networks. ! Sharing is caring !
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases Last update on 2021-04-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API